Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Hola! Happy late Halloween from Colombia!!

And thank you for the Halloween Package! I got it the day I came, so maybe it was just sitting here for me? I'm not sure!

So much has happened since two weeks ago! First... I made it safely to Colombia! Taaadaa! No problems at all! Second, I am typing on a Spanish only keyboard so it is telling me every single word I write is wrong... haha so sorry if anything is really misspelled because I can't tell. Also it is hard to find the right punctuation on this thing! Okay, so when we first got to the CCM, that's what they call the MTC here, there were about 11 other missionaries! They were all North Americans, and some were the people we were originally supposed to come to Colombia with. So that was weird because we went from tons of missionaries in Provo to about 20 here! But then the Latinos came the next day so that was fun! It has been fun talking with them, and practicing my Spanish with them. They are all really sweet. I have two companions now! We are in a trio. I am with Hermana Zapata, and Hermana Ellison. Hermana Ellison was in my district before, and I am rooming with all the girls from my district before. 7 to a room! haha That's been fun! 

On the first Saturday we were here, a couple teachers walked us to a shopping center and we got to proselyte for two hours! That was pretty much THE coolest thing. The people here are so ready for the gospel it is amazing! They really wanted to hear what we had to say about the Book of Mormon! And they were very fascinated with my skin. This old, old man was pointing at my skin and saying something really fast.. I have no idea what he was saying but he was really happy about it. haha And then he tried to kiss my hand and I turned my hand so he kissed his own and we all started laughing really hard and then he said something about my face turning red. haha okay and then, when we walked away, about 20 minutes later we were across the street and he was still standing there reading the Book of Mormon! And when we were talking to him my companions were talking to him and he just stopped looking at them and stared at me so I testified of the Book of Mormon, and its truthfulness. I could feel the spirit so strong and I know he could too! It was the most amazing thing. 

The culture here is so interesting! Lots of hugs and then a kiss on the cheek. One guy while proselyting, I stuck my hand out for a handshake and he just crushed my hand and kissed my cheek. Haha so I'm going to have to work on that one because that was weird. Haha.

And on Wednesday we get new companions! They will be Latino so either she will hate me because I can't speak to her very well, or she'll love teaching me and I'll learn a ton! I'm hoping for the latter... Everything here is so amazing! I love the city of Bogota! We got to go to the temple on Tuesday! The Colombian temple is so pretty! I loved being at the temple because it was all just so familiar. I am so grateful I got to work there before coming on my mission. Such a huge blessing. Driving there and back was so awesome too! There are a million taxis everywhere. Seriously almost every car is a taxi. And if it isn't a taxi it is a motorcycle. I have never seen so many motorcycles in my life! And the driving is insane, and the buses are so packed, I didn't know that many people could fit on a bus.

My teachers are awesome! I love both of them. Hermana Mendivelso is just great, and Hermano Martinez is hilarious. I am learning a lot from both of them! Hmo Martinez travels an hour on the bus to get to the CCM. Such dedication! And they both go to school full time. 

The food here is pretty good! Lots and lots of soup! And we all know how much I love soup..... No I actually don't mind it so much here.. We eat a lot of rice, and meat, and fried banana, and this crazy other fruit that you have to crack open and inside is this green blob that looks like fish eggs, and you suck it out. Haha pretty much THE weirdest texture but it tastes pretty good. They also try to make North American food sometimes which is fun. We had pizza and hamburgers the other day. And they serve hot dogs with EVERYTHING. Haha. I liked hot dogs before... But they serve a waffle and then a hot dog, pretending it is sausage. And eggs and a hot dog, and hot dogs hot dogs hot dogs. Haha

But I am loving it here! And learning a lot! I have another pday on Tuesday, so I'll send pictures then! On Tuesday they are letting us hike a mountain or something! I am excited about that! We are inside pretty much all day and the whole area is fenced off and they are really strict here! Like they take our cameras from us! Haha But it is great.

I love you guys so much!! Have a wonderful week and I'll talk to you soon!!!!!

Love, Hermana Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment